What’s a Firewall + The Best Type of Firewall for Your Business
Cybersecurity is a top priority for businesses today. With the number of known viruses increasing daily and the risk of cyberattacks growing exponentially, protecting a business from network security threats can be a full-time job. Luckily, firewall protection provides businesses with the security they need to have peace of mind. With so many firewall software providers to choose from, you may be wondering what is the best type of firewall for your business.
What is a firewall?
A firewall is a network security system that monitors incoming and outgoing traffic. It operates based on a set of predetermined cybersecurity rules. The firewall:
- Receives the internet communication
- Translates it into your internal network
- Establishes a barrier between a trusted internal network and an untrusted external network
This protects your network from malicious or unnecessary traffic.
In essence, a firewall provides many security features your business needs. This includes business-grade internet threat detection and prevention, content filters and malware prevention.
Are there different kinds of firewalls?
If you’re looking for the best type of firewall for your business, you may be slightly overwhelmed by the number of available options. However, firewall devices are pretty synonymous across the board. While different companies will package things differently, the ultimate goal is the same – to protect your internal network from internet threats.
Companies such as Cisco, Watch Guard and SonicWall all have their own security teams that determine the risks of certain websites and IP addresses and identify known viruses. Their firewall software will then protect you from those threats by blocking traffic from those networks. In addition, providers will typically offer more advanced security suites for added layers of protection.
What is the best type of firewall for your business?
At Atlas, we believe the best type of firewall for any business is the SonicWall Advanced Gateway Security Suite (AGSS). This includes all of the security products that are available from SonicWall, including:
- Application controls
- Content filtering
- A cloud-based sandbox to stop advanced email-borne threats like ransomware and malware
Whether you are a small business with just five users, or a large business of more than 500 or 1,000 employees, SonicWall manufactures a wide-range of firewalls that can accommodate businesses of all sizes. The AGSS suite can then be purchased as an add-on to provide a Unified Threat Management (UTM) solution for your business.
In addition, SonicWall firewall protection includes:
- Gateway security services. These provide real-time protection with gateway anti-virus, anti-spyware, intrusion prevention (IPS) and application intelligence and control.
- Advanced Threat Protection (ATP). This defends against unknown and zero-day attacks at the gateway with automated remediation using cloud-based multi-engine sandboxing.
- Content filtering service. This manages access to inappropriate, unproductive, and even illegal and malicious web content.